PhD Dissertation and MA Thesis Defense Policy:
The oral defense of the dissertation can be open or closed to the public. The Candidate, all members of candidate's committee, and Director of Graduate Studies must be present. If the oral defense is public:
- The candidate's presentation and defense are to be a singular public event and the duration for presentation and defense is not to exceed two hours for Dissertations and one-and-a-half hours for Thesis.
- The dissertation defense consists of a presentation of the work by the candidate (usually 15 minutes)
- A defense of the work before the candidate's dissertation committee
- A question and answer period from members of the public
- The dissertation committee then convenes privately to determine the merit of the candidate's dissertation/defense